Our Wellness Services and Preventive Medicine Will Keep Your Pet Feeling Frisky
You want your pet to live a longer, healthier and happier life. And we want to help. So at Shea Animal Hospital, we put a great deal of emphasis on preventive health care and wellness services. When pets lead healthy lifestyles and receive top-notch veterinary care, they often avoid problems that can interfere with their enjoyment of life. Here are a few of the ways we partner with you to keep your pet in top form:
- Yearly Wellness Exams. We recommend that your pet come see us yearly for a wellness exam. During this important visit, our doctors will spend focused time with you and your pet, doing a thorough physical exam, talking with you about your pet’s health and behavior, and addressing your questions. Wellness exams are the best way for us to spot health care concerns in their early stages, often before the pet exhibits symptoms, so we can act quickly to manage the condition and promote your pet’s health.
- Vaccinations. Ensuring your pet is properly vaccinated against life-threatening illnesses and diseases is simple to do and the payoffs are huge. At your pet’s wellness exam, we’ll discuss the different vaccinations available to your pet, work with you to set up a regular vaccination schedule and send you reminders when it’s time to update vaccines.
- Fecal Testing. We agree that it’s no fun to follow your pet and gather a fresh fecal sample, but it is well worth the effort because an annual fecal test helps safeguard your pet’s health by determining if your pet has intestinal parasites. “Worms” are easy to eliminate, but if left untreated, they could severely compromise your pet’s health, spread to other pets and even to you and your family members, causing a number of health problems.
- Urinalysis. This simple test will tell us volumes about your pet’s health. It gives us a window into the pet’s urinary tract, alerting us to problems with the bladder, prostate or urethra.
- Heartworm Testing. Heartworm disease, which is transmitted from infected dogs to healthy dogs by mosquitoes, can be fatal. At your dog’s wellness exam, we will do a simple blood test to check for heartworm disease, then, based on the results, will prescribe treatment or heartworm preventive medicine, usually administered through a monthly tablet that dogs love.
Shea Animal Hospital is dedicated to helping your pet live a healthy, happy life. Please contact us today with your questions or concerns, or to schedule an exam.